Takeisha Rayson
Events over the past week have made me realize how important the meaning behind "Why Not Today?" truly is. Time. We all think that we have so much of it until events prove us otherwise.  Additionally, we don't seem to recognize things, people, countries, until time is metaphorically stopped by a monumental event - good or evil. Conversing about the devastation rendered from the Earthquake in Chile just weeks after Haiti was rocked, witnessing arrogant people snubbing their noses to those they feel don't warrant being treated with respect, being there to see Gabby Sidibe win an award for Precious, marveling at Fantasia's performance in The Color Purple. These are some of the moments that comprised my week.  These moments, good and evil, make me wonder. 

Do we resort to having extremes awaken are spirits from our day-to-day comatos state? Recognition in death, recognition in fame, recognition if your flawless, recognition if you are extremely flawed, why does it seem as though the extremes on both ends of the life spectrum are what call our attention? Would Gabby Sidibe be treated how she is (even though there are still struggles to her claim of fame) if she weren't in an Oscar nominated film? Would Haiti or Chile have the love of the world, if they hadn't been hit by devastating Earthquakes? Every day, there are people out there doing good, making it happen or at least trying to make it happen, but I guess that is just too ordinary to draw any attention, right? I have to admit, a part of my quest to realize the dream that I believe God has for me is so that I may build a platform for the seemingly "ordinary". But then, would it still be ordinary when I "make it"?

Someone during this week told me that they hadn't realized a lot of things about me...about my life and what I have accomplished thus far. My response, "a lot of people don't." You see, I am the type of girl that you may not notice right off the bat, but when you do notice me, you may wonder why you hadn't before. I strive to remain positive in the face of adversity, I try to maintain a balance in all that I exude, and I am a loyal friend and will always be their for those that I care for and love. I struggle with feelings of being unsure of myself, feelings of not making a large enough impact to make a difference...make a change. Do you ever feel like this? Do you ever feel the gut-wrenching angst of wanting the world to hear what you have to say and see your good works, hoping that it will not fall on deaf ears or blind eyes?

There are quite a few poignant lines in The Color Purple, many of which I had forgotten over the years. However, seeing the play this week reminded me of why I love this novel, movie, and now play, so much. In relation to this blog post, this particular line has been sort of my theme for the week: Celie says, "I'm poor, black, I might even be ugly, but dear God, I'm here. I'm here." Regardless of what people think of you or what you may think of yourself, you are here and there is a purpose to why you are here. Whether that purpose is for the world to see or for only God to see, we all have a purpose.

Lastly, I thought I would share a couple pics from the week!


The Color Purple
Beginning of the night, curls...end of the night, flop


The guy from Blind Side

Mehki Phiffer with Jen and I

Thanks to Jen and her D'Kwan for the invite!

2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    a continuation of last nite's conversation. with the majority of the attention given to one extreme or the other where does that leave the middle? so inspired by tyler perry's story and how it was reiterated to us that he went out and 'found his audience'. there is an audience out there for everyone, if its an audience of one or of one million, every person counts and i think that's the most important thing to remember. we strive to get to a point where we have a voice over the masses but to acquire that we need to start with just one.


  2. Keelonnie Says:

    I think we've all had those moments when we're trying to figure out if the point we set out to make is truly appreciated and understood. I think it hinders me when I sell myself short in fact; I know it does. Trust me, even though you may not be reassured of the impact you make, from the first hello you make an impact. I am not saying that tooting your own horn is the key but definitely being sure of ones' self (your purpose) makes the world of difference. Although we may not get the altitude of recognition we expect at times, some is better than none. Stay the way you are, it'll pay off. You've already been receiving spiritual royalties anything else thereafter is divine order.